I love soups, thick hearty soups. A good soup is easy and quick to make and gives a delicious and healthy meal. I guess it goes without saying that pretty often we have soup on our table. One of our favorite soups is the Russian borscht. It always contains red beet, but otherwise it is very versatile. It can be made as warm or cold soup, with meat or as vegetarian dish. Here is how we make it as warm hearty soup.
For a big pot of soup you need (of course, you can freely vary the amount of all ingredients!):
- 2 big red beets
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 celery root
- 1 parsnip
- 3 potatoes
- 1 onion
- ca. 3 carrots
- 2 liters beef stock with meat
- parsley, dill
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- sour cream
- Prepare beef stock by boiling meat with bone for several hours. We use a slice of beef shank with bone, which is a relatively inexpensive meat, even when purchased in organic quality. Alternatively you can use ready made stock or vegetable broth.
- Skin and shred red beets and sauté in oil with sugar and vinegar for ca. 30-40 min or until tender.
- Meanwhile skin and cut into cubes celery root, parsnip and potatoes, and add to beef stock.
- Add sautéed red beet to beef stock.
- Sauté onions and shredded carrots in oil until tender. Add to beef stock when potatoes and celery are almost tender.
- At the end, when all vegetables are tender, turn off the heat and add finely chopped parsley, dill and garlic. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Poor into plates, add a spoon full of sour cream, sprinkle some chopped greens and serve with bread.