In my attempt to include more vegetarian dishes in our meal plan I came across pide. It is a classical dish from Turkey, little boats made from yeast dough and filled with either spinach and feta or with some meat based filling. The spinach pide turned out nice but the color green on the plate is not so popular around here… So I tried to make a vegetarian version somewhat resembling its meat based original.
After a bit of experimenting, this is what we came up with. And we all love it! All of us, even those who are usually not so fond of tofu.
This recipe makes 16 palm sized pide:
For the dough you’ll need:
- 500g flour (I usually mix normal and whole grain spelt flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pack yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ca. 300-400 ml warm water
And for the filling you’ll need:
- 1 onion
- 400g tofu – the plain one, not marinated, not grilled etc
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- your choice of spices (see below)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (400g each)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (Schmand)
Suggestions for spices:
- You can simply add herbs de provence.
- We like it non-spicy and I like to add some Indian inspired mixture: cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, sweet paprika.
How to make it:
- To make the dough: mix flour and salt, dissolve the yeast together with sugar in hand-warm water, add olive oil, and combine everything to a smooth slightly sticky dough. Let rest at a warm place for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling: Saute diced onion. Add spices and finely diced and crumbled tofu. Saute for a few minutes. Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste and let simmer on small flame until some of the liquid evaporated. The filling should not be too watery. Take the filling off the flame and add squeezed garlic and sour cream. let it cool down until hand warm.
- Assemble the pide: Kneed the dough and divide into 16 pieces. Roll out every pieces into an ellipsis, place 2 table spoons of filling in the middle and shape a boats by first folding over one side, then the other and secure the boats by firmly pressing the ends together. Put onto two baking trays, brush the dough with water and bake for ca. 20 min until they start to slightly brown at the edges.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley!
I support Veggie-Thursday!