Today is the last day of May and the last day of Me Made May 2017. I really enjoyed this challenge! It forced me to consider my clothes more than I usually do. This May had extreme temperatures – below 10C in the beginning of the month and around 30C during the last days. So I could wear my me made warm as well as my summer cloths.
I did manage to fulfill (most of) my pledge:
- I did wear at least one me made item at least 5 days per week. I wore 6 different skirts (21 days), 1 dress (once) and 3 different tops (6 days). A clear favorite for cooler days is my up-cycled jeans skirt (above left; I wore it on 9 days). For warmer weather I really liked to wear the pink flower skirt (above right; I wore it on 4 days).
- Par of my pledge was to make and wear me made tops. I did wear three different me made tops. Two are new and one is from last summer. I did not blog about them jet, because I am not that happy about how they turned out. I find it extremely difficult to make a pattern for a top fit properly – even if made from jersey. Thus I am still in the process to make 2-3 different well fitting tops. So this part of the pledge I did not fulfill completely but I am intensely working on it!
- I did start to clean out my wardrobe and rediscovered old items. I also dyed over a few items and gave them a second life. Inspired by the Wardrobe Architect on the Colette blog I stared to analyze my preferences and I discovered that apparently I really like flowery patterns (for some it might seem obvious but to me it actually was a surprise….)!
What did I learn during this challenge:
- I can and really like to wear my me made items.
- I urgently need tops to wear with my skirts. Simple and nice tops. Yes, this is my “top-challenge”!
- I do need more variety. I need a longer skirt and summer pants. A cardigan would be nice, too. (the list goes on….)
Thanks to Zoe for initiating MeMadeMay! I am feeling so proud that I actually could join this year. It is a great motivation to continue working on a me made wardrobe!
This is my contribution to MMM17.
The post This was my MeMadeMay17 first appeared on tamtamtiger.wordpress.com.
‘I, Calina from tamtamtiger, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’17. I endeavour to wear self-made items at least five days per week, for the duration of May 2017’
Yes, I am joining Zoe’s call for challenge this year! I have a few nice items which I really like to wear and do so a lot, but I want to see them more as part of my developing core wardrobe. Therefore, beyond wearing self-made items five days per week:
- I want to challenge myself to consciously chose and combine my self-made items. I mostly have self-made skirts and combine them with always the same tops. I want to be more conscious how I wear my self-made items and be more experimental in combining them. I usually have about three minutes in the morning to pick out my clothes for the day and get dressed, so no wonder I am mostly falling back onto my usual uniform. Having more diverse “ready-to-grab” outfits would be helpful and fun. As a mother of three small children (they are now 9, 5 and 3) I don’t have much time to spend on my clothes and they have to be practical (suitable for biking and for spending an afternoon on the playground) and at the same time nice enough for work.
- I want to challenge myself to add 2-3 new tops to my wardrobe to a) have more choices for my existing skirts and to b) overcome my “Anpassungsangst” [fitting issues] for tops. I would like to “master” 2-3 different top styles which fit really well and which I can quickly sew up in different colors and patterns, just as I need them. My newly found sewing group is such a big support for all my sewing plans!
- I want to challenge myself to clean out my wardrobe and rethink my style following the Wardrobe Architect on the Colette blog. Of course I will not change my entire wardrobe and style within one month, but I want to use this challenge to get started on it.
Those are big plans for the month of May and I am looking forward to play with my me-made items. I am still contemplating how I will be able to document my daily outfits, since I will not be able to take daily pictures. I probably will have to do it similarly as Zoe does it: write down my daily outfits for myself and do a summary of my challenge at the end of the month. I am looking forward to #MMM17!
This is my contribution to MMM17.
The post MeMadeMay 2017 first appeared on tamtamtiger.wordpress.com.