Short Juist

juist_short

I finally managed to finish a sewing project again (apart from doing lots of mending). My older boy is in desparate need of shorts and I finally managed to finish a pair for him (it took me quite a bit of persuasion to have him pose for me – the shorts are better fitting in real life…). I used again the pattern Juist, but this time I made this pants in short form (the first and long version is here). The fabric is a lovely thick cotton from hilco. I realized only while sewing that the fabric has a stretch horizontally, and I would have preferred it without stretch, but the fabric feels great.

juist_short_2

This time I made the elastic in the waist adjustable. In the original pattern the waistband is one long piece that gets longitudinally folded and attached, and the elastic is inserted before the waistband is fully closed. Here I cut the waistband along the longitudinal fold, which yields an inside and outside piece. The inside piece I divided further into three pieces, cutting it where the elastic should enter the waistband. Then I added seam allowance to all edges and sewed the waistband back together, leaving openings for the elastic. Because my son always complaints that the folded over elastic and buttons hurt him, I covered the parts where the elastic enters the waistband with an extra piece of fabric, which can be opened and closed via snap fasteners. I don’t think that this is the best solution, though. Has anyone experience with adjustable elastic and how to hide it?

Fabric: Cotton with horizontal stretch from hilco.

Pattern: Juist Cargohose from Schnittreif bought at farbenmix, size 110-116. I made the following alterations: I made it as shorts, only using the upper leg parts. The waistband is composed of four pieces to allow for the elastic to be adjustable (see description above).

This blogpost is my contribution to Made4BOYS!

Juist

IMG_9146a

Hurray! Its done! The pants are Juist Cargohose from Schnittreif at farbenmix. The pants are fairly strait and I liked the fact that one has several options for the knee parts. I opted for an extra layer of thick cotton for the knees – my boy jumps through his pants in no time. The fabric is an easy cotton from hilco, and some bits for the pockets and ribbons from the local store.

juist

This was quite a challenging project for me, because it had several first times (complicated pockets, zipper with flap, snap fastener). Of course it didn’t help, that I decided to use contrasting thread and a to me unknown sewing machine…. I think I opened and redid every second seam.

What I will do better next time:

  • Buy enough thread first time around.
  • Put zipper in correctly right away…..
  • Add loops for belt – it just looks better.
  • Making the rubber band adjustable.
  • Making pants longer! I either screwed up the seam allowance or my boy has really long legs.
  • Probably using bullet prove fabric for the knee pads (just kidding on the bullet prove thing, but something really durable).

If the pants withstand the practical test in kindergarten, then I will sew many more for spring and summer……