School

2014.12.01.Neuried.290s

Much has happened during the past year: we welcomed a new baby, we moved to a new city, we changed jobs and our oldest started school. I am still adjusting to all while trying to keep up with everyday life.  Packing boxes and managing four men (two of which are still in diapers) did not leave much time to craft or post about it. But a few things I did make and with a new computer at hand I can finally present them here.

2014.12.01.Neuried.288s

Among the few things I did make were things for our oldest who started school this year. We enrolled our son into Waldorf-school for which he needed some special things. It feels good that he can take something with him to school which I made for him.

A crayon pouch roll for Stockmar wax crayons and blocks:

  • You’ll need: cut two pieces of cotton fabric ca. 30×40 cm, a piece of woven ribbon ca. 70 cm length.
  • Sew the two pieces of cotton fabric right-on-right-side, leaving a small opening. Turn it inside out.
  • Fold the ribbon into half. Pin the closed end into the opening of the fabric. Close the opening with a top stitch close to the edge.
  • Top stitch close to the edge all around.
  • Fold in the two long sides about 5 cm and iron into place.
  • To make the little pouched for the blocks and crayons measure alternating 3.5 cm (for the blocks) and 2.5 cm (for the crayons) and mark the places with pins. Sew along the markings and secure the edges well.
  • To be able to get out the blocks more easily I added a seam along the edge in a distance about 1.5 cm from the edge.

Calculation stones:

This was a wonderful family project. We went into the forest to collect a dry branch from a beech tree and cut off 24 slices. We sanded the pieces and rubbed them with olive oil. To hold them I made a small cotton bag. I like to use French seams in bags, but I didn’t find a better way to male opening for a draw-string other than attaching an extra piece of fabric for the tunnel. I applied some numbers for fun. This wooden pieces are used in school to teach the first steps arithmetic.

Pouch for a  flute:

The third piece was a pouch for his flute. In Waldorf-school all children start to play recorder in first grade. It is a special pentatonic wooden recorder which apparently is easier to play than a normal recorder because it has less holes.  The pouch is padded with some thick cotton molleton.

Still missing is a bag for his needlework…..

This post first appeared first on tamtamtiger.wordpress.com and is a contribution to Creadienstag.

Turnbeutel

IMG_9782a

I just don’t know any proper translation of the German word Turnbeutel. Does “gymnastic bag” capture it? Or “sports bag”? Anyway, our older son started school this month and needed a bag for his gymnastic shoes, labeled with name and proper to hang.

IMG_9783_84

So I got this nice fabric at the local fabric store, cut out a piece big enough to hold the shoes, labeled it with a piece of my printing experiments, and closed it with French seams. What I couldn’t figure out is how to do the top seam such that I can pull though a cord, with those French seams in place. So I decided to add an extra stripe of fabric to the top of the bag. For this I cut out two pieces, each 10 cm wide and the length equal to the width of the bag + seam allowance. I joined the two pieces at the narrow ends, but only about 2.5 cm at the edges such that there is an opening in the middle. I then fixed the seam allowance to either side on the seam and opening, folded the stripe (now a loop) in half along the  length and attached it to the top of the bag. I then pulled two cords though the openings on both sides. The cord I made from leftover yarn from my socks.

Pattern: Self-drafted.

Fabric: “Zoo” from Westfalenstoffe, bought at a local fabric store.

This is my contrition to Creadienstag.

Apron and name tags

IMG_9771a

The summer is over and we are adjusting back to normality. My older son turned six last week and will start preschool tomorrow. I am still worried whether I made the right decision to put him into preschool instead of first grade, but I guess only time will tell If it was right or wrong.

For preschool my son needed an apron, because they will paint and bake and cook a lot there. So I bought some water repellent cotton (the fabric is usually meant to be used as table cloths) and lots of bias binding. I decided to bind the apron in the neck because I feel that the loop around the neck is always too long,  but it still needs to go over the head easily.

IMG_9781a

Also, because everything for preschool needs to be labeled, I carved a name stamp from an eraser and used textile paint to print some name tags on some scrap pieces of cotton fabric. The inspiration for carving stamps I got from Geninne’s wonderful Art Blog, and the idea to stamp name tags for school items I was inspired by Masha-macht-mit.

Pattern: I took the pattern from a child’s apron we have at home.  I just extended the top and bottom a bit to make it longer.

Fabric: Water repellent fabric from a local fabric store and bias binding.

Stamp carving: I used an eraser from Staedtler, a kitchen knife and fabric paint.

This is my contribution to Creadienstag and Made4BOYS!